Monday, January 23, 2017

It's the End of the Day! Let's Slow Down and Read a Book!



I loved reading to my children before they went to sleep.  I read to all of them until they were in the middle of 5th grade.  This week's post is about books to read to your 4-7 year-olds.  Next week's post will be about books for the little ones,  ages 2-4.











When I was in college, I took two semesters of Introductory  Yiddish.  Even though I struggled with the difficult German grammar, I loved the course.  I think that's one of the reasons that I enjoy אף על פיל so much - it brings back good memories.

אף על פיל / A Nose on an Elephant is a collection of 25 children's poems translated from the Yiddish.  Nineteen different poets wrote these poems during the years between the two World Wars.  You and your children will enjoy the poems and the illustrations.  


Illustration from the poem להיות ילדה/
To Be a Girl
 The amazing thing about these poems is that the topics are universal and as relevant today as they were many years ago.  At the end of the book, there is a picture and short bio for each poet.  Ages 4-6.











ג'ק ועץ ההוקוס-פוקוס / Jack and the Flumflum Tree is one my favorite books by the British author גוליה דונלדסון / Julia Donaldson.   Jack's grandmother is very sick with a disease whose only cure is the fruit from the Flumflum tree.  The tree can only be found on a faraway island.  Jack built a boat, found a crew and prepared to sail. His grandmother gave him a bag full of wooden spoons, chewing gum, balloons, tent pegs, handkerchiefs, a jump rope, a plastic cereal bowl and a drum.  How in the world were all these things suppose to help Jim get the fruit of the Flumflum tree back to his grandmother?? You and your children are sure to enjoy the rhyming text.  I know I did! Ages 3-7.












הנעלים הישנות של אדון מינאסה / A Pair of Old Shoes by רונית חכם / Ronit Chacham is an Ethiopian folktale handed down from mother to daughter.  Mr. Manashe used to like to entertain children by walking upside down with his hands in his shoes.  He walked in those shoes all the way from his old country to his new country (Israel).  In the new country, he bought a new pair of shoes and tried to throw out his old ones.  Somehow his old shoes kept coming back to 
 him !?  Ages 5-7.









בינה נוסעת מבנימיה / Bina Travels from Binyamina by יונה טופר / Yona Topper will help your young children learn Israeli geography.  Bina, the cow from Binyamina, dreams of traveling around the country by train.  Erez, the dairy farmer's grandson, helps her to fulfill her dream.  The two spend the day traveling around the country by train and then happily return to Binyamina. It's fun to draw a simple map of Israel and follow Bina as she travels north and south and all through the country. Ages 5-7.



There are so many great books to read-aloud.  I'd love to hear what books you especially enjoy reading to your children.










Tip no. 11




I hope you've  had a chance to start building up your Hebrew children's library. It's fun to print out bookplates  ( תווי ספר)  to put in the books.  My favorite site is My Home Library which has a large selection of bookplates in black and white and color.  The bookplates are in English but you can delete the English and substitute Hebrew.  I did this several years ago for some of my classes.

















No comments:

Post a Comment